Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Easing Back & Hip Pain by Stretching the Psoas and Balancing the Sacrum

Sooo my ongoing issue with hip and lower back pain has once again reared its ugly head and I've decided to share why it comes on and what helps me most (and what doesn't) - because many women I know who've had children suffer from it as well - and we need all the help we can get right!
Prior to pregnancy and a natural birth I'd never had even a slight niggle in my lower back or hips, yet
since the birth of my child 5 years ago, Ive had an off again on again painful relationship with my lower back and hips. Here's why: After carrying a baby and giving birth the Sacroiliac ligaments holding my Sacrum in the correct position were strained considerably and as a result the position of my sacrum and flexability of my Psoas muscle has never been quite right since - and nor have MANY women's, once they have carried a baby to full term!
The Psoas muscle (which is deemed by many experts  as one of the most important muscles of the body) can be affected by a misaligned sacrum as the lower portion of the Psoas muscle combines with fibres from the iliacus muscle, which sits inside the surface of the pelvis and sacrum, to become the Iliopsoas muscle as it curves over the pubic bone. A tight or shortened Psoas is said to be the leading cause of all back and hip pain!
So what can we do about it? My answer - stretch, stretch, stretch - its the only treatment that has had any REAL or LONG TERM positive effect for me, here's the thing tho - you have to be consistent - its a preventative measure, and once you slack of for a month or so - bingo, your pain can creep back!
Here are a couple of my fave stratches to open the hips and ease tension on  the sacrum and the psoas muscle's

Please remember, if you feel intense pain in stretching, it is advised you stop - this is not a "How to" blog, its just pointing you toward what might work - trying it or not, is really up to your own discretion ;)

Its been said that holding each pose for a minimum of 30 seconds and breathing deeply is best. holding a pose for between 3 - 5 minutes and repeating the poses at least 3 times a week consistently has been known to offer the best results...

FROG POSE





Frog Pose: Mandukasana

 Frog Pose: Mandukasana

 PSOAS STRETCH





RECLINING PIGEON


















FORWARD PIGEON POSE






Here is a link to a fantastic You tube clip of an 11 min stretch routine for releasing the Psoas Muscle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZj7UcoCeg

Why do i recommend stretching above any other method i have tried?? Because in the past Ive committed to regular treatments in: Chiropractic, Massage Therapies, various forms of Energy Medicine, Bowen therapy and  Acupuncture - they all helped - But for a SHORT while.
Being a certified Massage Therapist, Energy Worker and Healing Touch Practitioner my self, I hate to admit that it's just not a long term answer unless you enjoy forking out money every second week for something you could be treating yourself in the comfort of your own home for free... I personally enjoy these treatments very much BUT only in conjunction with my home stretching routine. This means I save money by only needing a treatment from someone else "every so often" instead of fortnightly. Plus - its your health - a little proactive effort on your part is always a very positive thing emotionally, mentally and physically!

I will also state here - this is about my personal experience and my personal opinion from that experience. There may very well be people who respond very well to solely using the above mentioned treatments for this particular problem and actually get long term results, I'm just not one of them and lots of other women I speak to with this particular pain seem also to be spending lots of dosh on multiple visits to multiple health professionals over long periods of time.... Just saying....

Happy sacrum balancing and psoas stretching,
Be Well,
Rachael ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment